Monday, January 12, 2015

Lady Smut Authors ~ an interview and their anthology ~ The Lady Smut Book of Dark Desires



I AM PLEASED TO WELCOME AUTHORS
Liz Everly, Madeline Iva, and Elizabeth Shore



Lady Smut is a blog for intelligent women who like to read smut. On this blog we talk about our writing, the erotic romance industry, masculinity, femininity, sexuality, and whatever makes our pulses race. THE LADY SMUT BOOK OF DARK DESIRES is our first group publication.

Today three members of our blog and contributors to the book are chatting with you: Liz Everly, Madeline Iva, and Elizabeth Shore.

BANTER – STUFF ABOUT YOU
Q: Are you a morning person, or a midnight candle burner?
Liz:  I am definitely a morning person.

Q: How do you feel when a reader (or a fan) takes the time to contact you?
Liz: Honored. We hear from many readers on the Lady Smut blog and have quite the community there.

Q: What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have an all time favorite song?
Liz: I love all kinds of music. But I am a big Stevie Nicks fan.

Elizabeth: No all-time favorite song. I have an eclectic taste in music and like lots of different kinds. I find myself listening to either classical or heavy metal when I write and that’s what’s primarily on my iPod. However, I also have some really cool middle eastern music, some latin music, opera, jazz, and some pop. My mood dictates what I listen to. I’m also really open to learning about new kinds of music, too, something I haven’t been exposed to.

Q: If your life were a movie would it be considered an action film, comedy, drama, romance, fantasy or a combination?
Madeline: definitely comedy—but probably one of those with really painful humor, like the British version of “The Office”.  In fact, one thing that used to prevent me from falling asleep each night was I’d replay in my head all the times I’d been a huge forehead slapping idiot.  Then at a certain point I started to consciously stop myself from going there, and suddenly the pain quotient in my life went way down.  That said, I’m sorry to all of you out there that I was such an asshat to at one time or other! I didn’t mean to be such an idiot—promise!

Liz: A hot romance. (Wink)

Q: Snack of choice – chips, pretzels, popcorn, or cookies, cake, candy? Or maybe you’re a healthy snacker - fruit, yogurt, nuts, raisins?
Elizabeth: I’m a total salty person – chips, popcorn, nuts, pretzels, I don’t discriminate. I’m a little different from several of my gal pals in that chocolate doesn’t make me go ga-ga. A bag of chips, however …

Q: Have you ever been too embarrassed to promote any certain titles to friends or family?
Liz: Yes. All of the Lady Smut bloggers write under pen names. We are a naughty bunch.

Q: How do you feel about exercise?
Elizabeth: I love it – when I’m done!

Q: Texting, love it or hate it?
Elizabeth: I adore texting, actually. It’s so fun and quick, and I love sending texts as well as receiving them. They’ve taken the place of email for me. Email seems like snail mail now!

Q: When you think of a garden, do you picture vegetables or flowers?
Madeline:  I’m gaga for gardening.  I always think of veggies and flowers as going together.  That said, I’m working on building a cottage garden with squares of raised beds – like a tic-tac-toe board that mixes beneficial flowers with veggies.  I think if you plant veggies in different patterns it’s as fun to look at as a formal garden.

Q: Bedtime, relaxing so you can sleep sounds. Is your preference, white noise, TV, soft music, ocean waves, forest or meadow sounds, babbling brook, or something else?
Madeline: Funny you should ask this question.  I did a ton of research on sleep for the novella ‘Sexsomnia’ that’s in the anthology.  It was fun doing the research, but now I’m all about practicing “good sleep hygiene” like aiming to go to bed at the same time each night, etc.  Every night I turn out the light, snuggle up to DH’s back, and then our tiny dog at the bottom of the bed gives this sigh.  It’s this soft contented noise and it puts me right out.

Q: Dress up or dress down?
Madeline: Pajamas! Preferably with a giant cardigan over them and husband’s disgusting old slippers.  If I don’t scare you when I answer the door during the day, then I’m obviously not writing enough. ; >

Q: Coffee or Tea?
Madeline: Tea! I love herbal teas and I just found this place in Frederick, Maryland called Voila! They make up their own herbal teas there.  My current favorite is called Lucky Duck – it’s got lemongrass and licorice in it.  Yum-o-la!

Liz: Both. The darker, the better.

BOOKS – ABOUT THE CRAFT
Q: When did you start writing and why?
Liz:  I’ve always been a writer—ever since I was a child.

Q: Where do you get your ideas?
Liz: It’s a strange thing that I can’t really seem to put my fingers on. But, for example, in my story that’s in the anthology, BRENNA BANG’S IMMORTAL LONGINGS, is a vampire story. It really came from thinking about all the time I spend in front of the computer and the relationships I have on the computer.

Q: How did you come to write your genre of choice?
Elizabeth: You have to love what you write, and I do love romance. It can be both simple and complex, breathtakingly beautiful or wretchedly painful. It also sometimes makes no sense whatsoever in terms of to whom one finds attraction. It’s all part of the beauty of romance. It’s been written about, painted about, and sung about for ages because all of us, whether we admit it or not, want and need romance in our lives.


Q: Which element of book writing is most difficult for you?
Liz: For me, the ending is always most difficult. I always have to re-write, usually add on, to my endings.

Q: What is your favorite part of writing?
Liz: When I get into a zone and the words just flows. Doesn’t happen everyday. ;-)

Q; Now your least favorite part?
Liz: The actual business side of publishing.

Q: Describe your favorite hero? (This doesn’t have to be one of yours.)
Madeline: I gotta say, I loved Wrath from J.R. Ward’s DARK LOVER book.  He’s totally bad-ass and pretty much blind.  I just bow down in awe to the way she made him a disabled hero – and was able to use it as a point of vulnerability, but at the same time made him a total alpha hero that I could totally get behind.

Q: Which of your own releases was your particular favorite?
Liz:  It’s a toss up between LIKE HONEY and TEMPTING WILL McGLASHEN, both of which feature hot Scotsmen.

Q: How do you handle a writer's block?
Madeline: I don’t have writer’s block as much as I procrastinate like a so-and-so.  I recently read GETTING THINGS DONE and the author suggests we procrastinate on things because we haven’t really made a decision.  So true.  Writing is about making decisions. My New Year’s resolution is if I’m anxious and hesitating about making a decision I must call one of my writing buddies and talk it out. 

Q: Are you a sit down and play it by ear kind of writer, or do you need a structured guideline, or maybe a little of both?
Liz: I never know where the story is going to go. I’m a very organic writer.

Elizabeth: I can’t write every day because I do have a full-time day job, so when I do write it’s a much more efficient use of my time if I have at least a little bit of an outline. I don’t find them restricting at all, because if my characters guide me in a different direction then that’s where we’ll go. However, if I have no outline I find myself spending a lot of time sitting and thinking that I could be using to actually write. So for me I have an outline, maybe more of a guideline. I like that you used that word, because that’s really what I have.

Q: When crafting the story do you go from beginning to end, or do you jump around writing the scenes that are pushing themselves forward in your brain?
Elizabeth: I’m definitely pretty linear when I write. I start at the beginning and go to the end without jumping around. I like a well-crafted plot, and for me it means that I can’t jump around or there are elements of the story that would get lost or make no sense . It would be like trying to knit a sweater by doing whatever section you feel like; one day a sleeve, maybe the next day the collar. The sweater needs to be knit in a certain way for the whole thing to properly come together. For me that’s the way I need to write my stories.

Q: Do you like to read the genre that you write?
Elizabeth: Absolutely. In my opinion, it’s a must. That said, I’m a fiction lover in general so I’m drawn to all kinds of different genres. Overall, I’m a big admirer and fan of other writers. It’s such a thrill to constantly refine my own craft and technique through learning from others.


BOOKS - NOW LETS PROMOTE – STRUT YOUR STUFF
Q: What are you working on now? Would you like to share anything about it?
Liz: I’m currently working on a new suspense series under my other name. Plus, I’m just beginning to flesh out some ideas for a vampire novel, based on my story in THE LADY SMUT BOOK OF DARK DESIRE.

Madeline : I’m working on the sequel to ‘Sexsomnia’—the novella included in the Anthology.  The Sequel is called ‘Sexsomniac’ and it’s coming out in February.  In the first novella, there’s a sleep researcher named Nadia, who’s a real skeptic about the paranormal elements of the story. In the sequel she starts off as a skeptic about the idea that a succubus is causing the heroine to have sexsomnia—which makes her come off as a real b**** to some readers.  In the sequel, Nadia is still a skeptic, until that ends up leading to her becoming afflicted with a succubus too.

Q: Do you have a new book coming out soon? Tell us about it.
Liz: Many of our bloggers are quite prolific. I encourage your readers to check out the blog.

Q: How can we find you? Do you have a web page, FaceBook page or any buy links?
LADY SMUT
Twitter: @ladysmut1

Buy Links:


Q: Are you currently participating in a blog tour? If you are let’s tell everyone where you’re going to be so they can catch up with you again.

http://www.writermarketing.co.uk/prpromotion/blog-tours/currently-on-tour/lady-smut-book-of-dark-desires/

  
14th January: http://kdgrace.co.uk
15th January: http://www.lovebitessilkties.co.uk/
16th January: http://www.pinkypollock.blogspot.com
19th January: http://www.confessionsofabookwhore.org/
20th January: http://houstonhavens.wordpress.com/
21st January: http://eroticaforall.co.uk
22nd January: http://sslyblog.wordpress.com/
23rd January: http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/
26th January: http://www.kaydeeroyal.blogspot.com/
27th January: http://galestanley.blogspot.com
28th January: http://lucyfelthouse.co.uk
29th January: http://areadersreviewblog.com/
30th January: https://alliwantandmorebooks.wordpress.com/

Q: Do you have a blurb or some teasers for The Lady Smut Book of Dark Desires?
A: The Lady Smut Book of Dark Desires is four paranormal stories of erotic temptation & paranormal thrills!

THE IMMORTAL LONGING OF BRENNA BANG by Liz Everly
When a vampire materializes through her computer, successful vampire-romance romance author Brenna Bang finds herself marked for inescapable passion with a tech savvy bloodsucker.

THE LYING, THE WITCH & THE WARDROBE by C. Margery Kempe
Christina tries to figure out how to unlock her grandmother's wardrobe and uncover what happened all those years ago when the goblins came to offer their sensuous erotic fruits.

SEXSOMNIA by Madeline Iva
Jenny needs to unravel the mystery of what she does at night and who she does it with in order to subdue the sexual demon inside her.

DIVINE by Elizabeth Shore
Locked in an abandoned mental asylum, an ambitious filmmaker soon discovers she’s trapped with a Dionysian god. He offers her a glimpse of astounding future artistic success—but it will only come true if she’ll perform an erotic ritual to free him.

Ladies, thank you so much for stopping by.
Thanks for having us!

Just a reminder to the reader ~ before you leave please take a look at the  
Funny/Stupid and Interesting Tabs.

Come back and visit again.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having us on today! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get a mention, but I'm one of the team, too. We have all kinds of fun over at Lady Smut, so do drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best part of being a LadySmut blogger is our banter. There's so much we agree about when it comes to romance!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.