Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Jeff Dawson ~ an interview and a Showcase of his work



I AM PLEASED TO WELCOME AUTHOR
Jeff Dawson


BANTER – STUFF ABOUT YOU
Q: How do you feel when a reader (or a fan) takes the time to contact you?
A:  Feedback is what we live for. If the book moved them, all the better. If not, I learn from their comments and work to resolve those issues in future works.

Q: If you could morph into any creature what would it be?
 A: Some would say I’ve already morphed. Sadly, they haven’t mentioned what the comparison is.
            If you don’t mind me asking, why?   
A: Not at all. However, since it is still in the investigative stage, I’ll have to let the readers draw their own conclusions.

Q: When you think of a garden, do you picture vegetables or flowers?
A: My children. When they were a bit younger I referred to them as vegetables. When they asked why, the answer was simple, “Kids, when do we pick the veggies.?”
“When they’re ripe, daddy.”
“Exactly. You three need to be replanted. You were picked way too soon.”

Q: What is your favorite word? Is there a reason?
A: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. No one’s going to do a spell check!  How many just looked it up?

Q: What is your least favorite word? Is there a reason?
A: Had been. Drives me nuts especially when it’s a present tense use. And the word, had. They do have a use but when a published/author uses them to fill up space, it’s over-burdening. The worst case I remember is Bob Dole’s biography. The publishing house should have its neck wrung! 

Q: If you didn’t have to clean them, how many bathrooms would you have in your home?  
 A: I opt for the luxury outhouse—heated and cooled. No fuss, no muss and more important, no cleaning.

Q: What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have an all time favorite song?
A: Old Time Rock n Roll.

Q: What is the sexiest thing on a man?
A: If the mirrors in the room would stop flipping over, I could provide an honest answer.

Q: Tell me one thing that your spouse does that really endears him/her to you. One thing that annoys you. These can be tiny little things, actually the smaller the better.
A: Still looking for one. Right now, she has nothing but praise. I’m sure that will change

Q: Did you like school when you were a child?
A: Unlike many of my classmates, I thoroughly enjoyed high school. It’s where I met Debbie.

Q: Have you ever been too embarrassed to promote any certain titles to friends or family?
A: That would be the erotic tale of betrayal, sex and murder—Cracking Up!  I used a pen name for the story. It really is that nasty.

Q: Favorite color?
A: Red

Q: Dress up or dress down?
A:  Clothes? I didn’t realize they were mandatory until I spent a night in the pokey for “indecent exposure.” I thought it was quite decent.

Q: Texting, love it or hate it?
A: I don’t mind the quick conversation but when it becomes a full blow novel, pick up the phone and actually talk to me.

BOOKS – ABOUT THE CRAFT
Q: When did you start writing and why?
A: I began writing in 2010 after enduring back surgery. It knocked me out of road construction


Q: Where do you get your ideas?
A: They either come from my own imagination or listening to others. Of the fifteen books, half came from others stories.

Q: How did you come to write your genera of choice?
A: I write in a wide genre: horror, true love stories, bios, alternative fiction, erotica, time travel, science fiction and others.

Q: What do you think is the hardest part of writing a book?
A: Keeping the chronology straight. I’ve read too many books where the time line became convoluted and confusing. Also, keeping the suspense and action moving ahead without being over the top.

Q: Which element of book writing is most difficult for you?
A: Editing and rereading. At times, it’s unbearable.

Q: What is your favorite part of writing?
A: Watching the characters and plot develop.

Q; Now your least favorite part?
A:  Rereading, rereading, rereading!

Q: Who's your favorite author?
A: Tom Clancy

Q: Your favorite title?
A:  A Bridge Too Far

Q: Would you ever consider a joint project?

 A: Yes. I’ve already done that with two works: Gateway: Pioche and Destination D.C.

http://ow.ly/KuLQ0

Gateway: Pioche (Book 1 in the Gateway Series)

Destination DC (Book 2 in the Gateway Series)

 
Q: Which of your own releases was your particular favorite?
A:  Love’s True Second Chance. This is the true tale of my high school sweetheart, Debbie. We reunited in Jan of 2009 and spent the most wonderful seven month s of love two people could share. Her breast cancer returned and I kissed her goodbye for the last time July 20, 2009.

Love's True Second Chance: A True Love Story about reuniting and loss

 

Q: How do you handle a writer's block?
A: Slapping the monitor and convincing it needs to wake-up and help.

Q: Do you write long hand first, or does it go straight into the computer?
A: Lord no. I can’t read what I’ve written while it’s still warm.  Keyboard all the way.

Q: Are you a sit down and play it by ear kind of writer, or do you need a structured guideline, or maybe a little of both?
A: Absolutely! I might develop a broad idea and then the characters take over and begin shaping and molding the story.

Q: Do you always know how a story will end when you begin writing it?
A: Not until the last chapter pops into my head. I have no idea where many of the stories are going. When I wrote Gateway: Pioche, it was to be a standalone book with no sequel. Well, just for fun, I threw in the paragraph that opened it for a sequel. Working on the third book, Target Berlin. You just never know. 

Q: Have your characters ever taken the story in a different direction than you had originally planned? Do you have a for instance, for us?
A: Nope.

Q: Generally speaking, is your work based on real life experience? If it's not would you want it to be?
A: Depends on the work. I’d say, forty percent of the stories have personal experiences mixed in.

Q: How long does it take you to create a novel?
A: Three months to two years.


BOOKS - NOW LETS PROMOTE – STRUT YOUR STUFF
Q: What are you working on now? Would you like to share anything about it?
A: This is long list so grab a cup of tea or a mug of coffee.
Target Berlin, This will be the third book in the Gateway series, Time travel, science fiction

On Angels Shoulders,  A book of poetry dedicated to the women who have served in the military.

Road Kill, This is about a drug cartel attempting to set-up in Tulsa, OK. The local police chief, who is a bit on the shady side is going to find out, the grass isn’t always greener.

Sabotage, This is the second book in the World War Two vampire thriller, Occupation. The time frame is from July 1941 to May 1943.  

Untitled at this time": The story will revolve around the largest tank battle in the 20th Century—Kursk. This is bit different. The story will be told through eyes of a German and Russian tank commanders . The tale will look at their psyches, ambitions, and interest. More along the lines of “War and Peace.” Or so I’ve been told.

Q: Do you have a new book coming out soon? Tell us about it.
A: I’m not sure which one is coming out next.

Q: How can we find you? Do you have a web page, FaceBook page or any buy links?
A: FB Occupation: http://ow.ly/KuKzH
     FB Loves True Second Chance: http://ow.ly/KuKMz
     FB Irving Titans: http://ow.ly/KuKWx
     FB Cracking Up! http://ow.ly/KuL41
     Twitter @JeffDawson59
    Amazon: http://ow.ly/KuLQ0
    Blog: http://ow.ly/Kv6ph I post a lot of sample chapters for upcoming works.


 Now, as promised ~ here's a collection of Jeff's work: 


Occupation (Book I in the Occupation Series)

Terror at The Sterling

Catfished Again! Jeff and Nadezhda's Steamy Romance: From Russia with Love?

Guinea Pigs of the 70's and 80's

Irving Titans


 

Life's Spectrum Love, Loss, Military




Erotic Romance















I’m happy you could join me on Books and Banter. I hope you had fun with the Q & A’s.



Just a reminder to the reader ~ before you leave please take a look at the  
Funny/Stupid and Interesting Tabs.

Come back and visit again.

3 comments:

  1. Good morning, Loc. Many thanks for allowing me to featured on your wonderful site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a pleasure! I hope you will consider returning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.