Tuesday, May 12, 2015

William D. Prystauk ~ an interview and his novel ~ Bloodletting



I AM PLEASED TO WELCOME AUTHOR
William D. Prystauk

BANTER – STUFF ABOUT YOU



Q: Tell me one thing about each of the four seasons you like. It can be anything.
A:        Winter = Staying indoors to write.
            Spring  = The smell of rain and its hint of creations to come.
            Summer = Getting outdoors to embrace the world.
            Fall = Halloween!

Q: What is your favorite word? Is there a reason?
A: Pulchritudinous. The word comes with its own inherent irony: this ugly sounding word means “beautiful.”

Q: What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have an all time favorite song?
A: I love punk, goth, ska, industrial, hardcore, and metal. Usually, if it’s NOT on the radio, I’ll give it a listen.

My favorite song would have to be Abecedarian’s “Soil.” I love the ethereal guitar, and the percussion is simply mesmerizing. It puts me in a revved up meditative state (yes, I know that’s contradictory) as if I’m falling in water.

Q: Pets? Do you have any?
A: I am a dog lover. I can’t get enough of the unconditional love and its purity from our puppies, Suki (white boxer) and our mutt, Karma. But don’t worry, I like cats, but I’m highly allergic.

BOOKS – ABOUT THE CRAFT

Q: How do you handle writer's block?
A: Easy: There is no such thing. When I was younger, I called it “writer’s excuse” until I realized that it’s more like “writer’s option.” Quite often, many writers I know say they have writer’s block when they simply can’t make a decision about where to take a story because they have several ideas or avenues in which to take the story. This should be seen as a great problem to have. At this point, writer’s should trust the characters and let them find that next route. In addition, a writer doesn’t have to put words on the page to be writing. Sometimes, we write the stories, or parts of them, in our heads long before a single word finds its way to the page.

Q: When crafting the story do you go from beginning to end, or do you jump around writing the scenes that are pushing themselves forward in your brain?
A: I always take a linear approach from beginning to end because I have no idea where my characters might take me, or what idea will emerge from my unconscious. If I jump around, I could really mangle the narrative thread. Plus, I write thrillers. This means I need to build suspense, and the linear method proves to work best. In addition, my tales are mysteries, and jumping around could cause the story to derail since I won’t even be able to follow the clues.

Q: Do you always know how a story will end when you begin writing it?
A: Yes. However, this does not mean the ending is cast in stone. Writers should allow room for new ideas that come from the unconscious, the story, or the characters that inhabit the tale. But I have seen many writers not finish manusripts because they thought the ending would come to them – and it failed to materialize. If the writer has an idea about where he or she is going, they will most likely get there.

Q: Have your characters ever taken the story in a different direction than you had originally planned? Do you have a for instance, for us?
A: I see this quite often, especially since I usually write my novels based on my screenplays. When expanding to a novel format, my characters have much more room to move and grow, and this can bring about some changes. Even when I write screenplays, I may find that a particular character is more boring than expected, which means it’s time to break out the delete key. However, when a character really does step up in some unforseen way, I follow them, and I will rewrite the story to better fit that new direction.

In my crime thriller Bloodletting, I never expected the protagonist, Denny Bowie, to give up so much of himself. This meant I explored deeper and darker elements than I had room for in the original screenplay. Maybe this is why the story had ballooned to 120,000 words at one point. I’m thankful to have found the perfect editor, Gerald Baude, who truly saw the story for what it is, and he helped me revise to maintain a fast and intriguing pace.

BOOKS - NOW LETS PROMOTE – STRUT YOUR STUFF

Q: What are you working on now? Would you like to share anything about it?
A: Since the feedback has been so amazing for Bloodletting, I’m working on the sequel. Sure it will take some time, but the book will happen. In the meantime, I am looking for a publisher for my horror crime thriller, Red Agenda while working on its sequel as well. I’m also writing a textbook (a practical guide actually) for college students, which I will have the pleasure of “testing” with my students in the fall semester. Finally, I’m rewriting a dramatic science fiction feature screenplay and developing a feature horror script.

Q: Do you have a new book coming out soon? Tell us about it.
A: Well, Bloodletting has already been released, but the official launch isn’t until May (this is because I teach and students come first – always). The novel is a hard-boiled crime thriller involving young punk rocker and sadomasochist Denny Bowie, a “legwork guy” for a private investigation firm, who’s out to find the killer of five masochistic men and his childhood friend, fetish photographer Tommy Heat. He gets back with Penny Dallion, the Goth-girl of his dreams, and is enthralled by the hot and androgynous Erin Marr, his new boyfriend. While investigating Tommy’s murder, Denny discovers pictures missing from Tommy’s meticulous collection. These photos not only hold the key to the killer’s identity, but may also prove Penny’s involvement in the murders. Embroiled in New York’s vibrant S&M subculture, Denny revisits old haunts: fetish clubs in Greenwich Village to find the killer who’s a step ahead of him – and maybe right behind him.

So far, the early reviews have been wonderful:
“If Philip Marlowe was reincarnated as a punk rock sadomasochist private eye working the mean streets of New York’s S&M subculture, his name would be Denny Bowie and this would be his story...”
Ken Vose, award-winning screenwriter of Greased Lightning and author.

 “What rides through this novel is Desire and it’s Desire as we actually know it—not the desire that can be easily placated, bought off with good deeds or bargain basement optimism or forgotten with love or put to sleep with a warm glass of milk. Here, Desire is insistent, hungry, ever present and shadowed by The Reaper.”
Ross Klavan, author of Schmuck and screenwriter of Tigerland.

“A thrilling ride through kink and murder, Bloodletting will stay with you long after the last page.”
Patricia D. Eddy, bestselling author of erotic suspense.

“Bloodletting is a crime novel in the vein of Silence of the Lambs….what stood out for me the most was the respect the author offered the S and M community. Unlike many other novels, where BDSM is used both for shock value and as scapegoat, Bloodletting manages to take us there and back again, respectfully and honestly.”
Jonah Bergan, author of Cricket.

Blurb:
Punk rocker and sadomasochist Denny Bowie, a “legwork guy” for a private investigation firm, is out to find the killer of five masochistic men and his childhood friend, fetish photographer Tommy Heat. He gets back with Penny Dallion, the Goth-girl of his dreams, and is enthralled by the hot and androgynous Erin Marr, his new boyfriend. While investigating Tommy’s murder, Denny discovers pictures missing from Tommy’s meticulous collection. These photos not only hold the key to the killer’s identity, but may also prove Penny’s involvement in the murders.

Embroiled in New York’s vibrant S&M subculture, Denny revisits old haunts: fetish clubs in Greenwich Village. With the killer getting closer with each passing hour, Denny’s time is running out.



Q: How can we find you? Do you have a web page, FaceBook page or any buy links?
A: I do:
Twitter: @crashpalace

Q: Are you currently participating in a blog tour? If you are let’s tell everyone where you’re going to be so they can catch up with you again.
A: My yet un-named official launch week for Bloodletting will be May 18-22. We’ll have giveaways, from autographed books to ebooks, and even music from the novel, and all sorts of fun stuff. More information will be available on my website (www.crashpalaceproductions.com) and on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/crashpalaceproductions) in the coming weeks. I hope to see you there!


I’m happy you could join me on Books and Banter. I hope you had fun with the Q & A’s.

Thank you so very much for having me. I’m truly grateful, and had a blast!

Just a reminder to the reader ~ before you leave please take a look at the  
Funny/Stupid and Interesting Tabs.

Come back and visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.