Saturday, August 1, 2015

T. A. Williams ~ an interview and his novel ~ What Happens in Cornwall


Book Information
Title: What Happens in Cornwall...
Author: T.A. Williams
Release Date: July 20, 2015
Genres: Chick Lit
Publisher: Carina UK


I AM PLEASED TO WELCOME AUTHOR
T. A. Williams


BIO:
Hi. You might be surprised to know that I'm a man. I write books that fall into the chciklit/romantic comedy categories under the name TA Williams. Anyway, although I'm pleased to see that my stuff is also being read and enjoyed by men these days, my main target audience is female. After all, you (females that is) buy far more books than we (men)  do! I'm English, terribly old, and I live in rural Devonshire with my Italian wife. 

I've written all sorts: thrillers, historical novels, short stories and now I'm enjoying myself hugely writing humour and romance. Romantic comedies are what we all need from time to time. Life isn’t always very fair. It isn’t always a lot of fun, but when it is, we need to embrace it. If my books can put a smile on your face and maybe give your heartstrings a tug, then I know I’ve done my job.

I've lived all over Europe, but now, as I said earlier, I live in a little village in sleepy Devon, tucked away in south west England. I love the place. That’s why you’ll find leafy lanes and thatched cottages in most of my books. Oh, yes, and a black Labrador.

I've been writing since I was 14 and that is half a century ago. However, underneath this bald, wrinkly exterior, there beats the heart of a youngster. My wife is convinced I will never grow up. I hope she's right.  

BANTER – STUFF ABOUT YOU
Q: Are you a morning person, or a midnight candle burner?
 A: I'm very definitely a morning person. These days, when it's getting light here in Devon as early as 5.00am, I'm often up and at the computer by six. In fact, as a result of making an early start most days, I have managed to write 75,000 words in the last four weeks.
 
Q: If you could morph into any creature what would it be?
 A:   Very definitely a Labrador, probably a big black Labrador.
            If you don’t mind me asking, why?   
A:   My very favourite pet ever was Merlin, the black Lab. He was a fully paid up member of the family and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the reincarnation of somebody very special. I would just have to hope that my new owners didn't take me to the vet to get me fixed!

Q: What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have an all time favorite song?
 A:  I'm 66, so I grew up listening to the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen and a load of others of that era. My all time favourite is probably Joe Cocker's version of "A little help from my friends" Oh yes, and Marvin Gaye's "I heard it through the grapevine." Happy memories.
 
Q: Tell me one thing that your spouse does that really endears him/her to you. One thing that annoys you. These can be tiny little things, actually the smaller the better.
 A:  She washes my underpants and socks. you don't get much better than that. Also, she cooks amazingly well - she's Italian and that helps.
One thing that annoys me about her (and I'm sure she's got a list a mile long of things I do that annnoy the hell out of her) is that she's always right. The trouble is that she IS.
 
Q: How do you feel about exercise?
 A: I love it. I play tennis two or three times a week and my go out on my road bike. My hobby is long distance cycling. I've done Venice to Rome, Seville to Santander,  Bordeaux to Nice etc. Exercise is definitely very high on my list of priorities. And, the more exercise I do, the more I can eat without a guilty conscience! 

BOOKS – ABOUT THE CRAFT
Q: How did you come to write your genera of choice?
 A: That's a really good question.  I started off writing thrillers. Then I got hooked on historical fiction (I studied the medieval period for years). But it's only in the last two or three years that I realise I enjoy writing humour and romance. And that, according to my editor, is what sells.

Q: Which element of book writing is most difficult for you?
 A:  I dread having to write a detailed summary in advance. My writing style is organic (that's the polite way of saying I make it up as I go along) so it's always very hard for me to sit down and plan. If I'm lucky, about a third of the way through each new book, it starts writing itself and taking me off in all sorts of unexpected directions. That's the fun part, where the characters take on a life of their own.

Q: What is your favorite part of writing?
 A: Starting a book, not really knowing just what's going to happen and then seeing it all unroll.

Q; Now your least favorite part?
 A: The typing. I am a terrible two finger (if I'm lucky) typist and I spend an inordinate time going back and adding letters I've missed.

Q: Describe your favorite heroine?
 A:  My heroines are always pretty tough. I don't mean that they go round punching people, but when bad stuff happens, they don't wilt. They pick themselves up, dust themselves off and get on with it.

Q: Which of your own releases was your particular favorite?
A: I've always had a soft spot for "Dirty Minds". It's a book about a man trying to write a book and it contains a lot of me in it.

BOOKS - NOW LETS PROMOTE – STRUT YOUR STUFF
Q: What are you working on now? Would you like to share anything about it?
A:   I've just finished the first draft of "What Happens at Christmas". This one is set in a tiny village on the edge of Dartmoor. One of the main characters is Sterling, the black Labrador!

Q: Do you have a new book coming out soon? Tell us about it.
A:  "What Happens in Cornwall" is out on 20th July. It's another romantic comedy, set on a fictitious island just off the Cornish coast. The heroine is an archaeologist and she finds more than she bargained for on the island.

Q: How can we find you? Do you have a web page, FaceBook page or any buy links?
Amazon.com 

Q: Are you currently participating in a blog tour? If you are let’s tell everyone where you’re going to be so they can catch up with you again.
A: Yes, organised for me by Karan at Bliss Book Promotions. 


 Blurb :
For a very British summer holiday...
When archaeologist Sam realises her relationship is as dead as the skeletons
she's exhuming, she knows it's time to make a change. But with bills to pay her
options are limited until a discovery on Rock Island in Cornwall gives her a
reason to escape.
Head to the Cornish coast!
In Cornwall, questions are thrown up at every turn: who is the glamorous
owner of Rock Island that the paparazzi are so interested in? How has the
irresistible, but impossibly arrogant, history professor James Courtney managed
to get so far under Sam's skin? And will it ever stop raining so Sam can lose
the cagoule and sip a cool drink in the sun? One thing's for sure: there's never
been a holiday quite like this one!

Excerpt:
Virginia successfully backed the car into the parking space at the third attempt and turned off the engine. Samantha, beside her, breathed out deeply. She was still alive. Slowly, she unclenched her fingers from the seatbelt. She had never been driven by Virginia before and if it never happened again, that would be too soon. The journey down the busy A38 trunk road had been a succession of near misses and near death experiences. Driving without due care and attention didn’t even begin to describe it. When they had crossed into Cornwall and embarked upon the ever narrower lanes, Sam had genuinely expected death to come at them around every corner. Throughout the whole trip Virginia had kept up a non-stop chatter about the prospect of exploring Rock Island. Understandably she was excited at the thought of going to the island, but it was to the exclusion of all else, road safety in particular.

They climbed out of the car, Sam managing to resist the temptation to throw herself to the ground and kiss the tarmac under her feet. Instead, she took a few deep breaths, dried her palms on her jeans, and looked around. One unexpected side effect of having the fear of death put in her was that she found that she was experiencing life with total clarity, and she looked around with interest. The car park was halfway down the hill leading into Tregossick and the view across the bay to the island was as clear as a bell after all the rain. Sam glanced at her watch and was pleased to see it was just before three o'clock as arranged.

From the moment they left the shelter of the car, they were assailed by the twin noises of seabirds wheeling overhead and the regular crump of waves against the beach. While Virginia went off to get the parking ticket, Sam had time to look around. The car park was almost full and most of the cars had roof racks for surf boards. A quick glance down to the beach showed that the waves had enticed quite a number of wetsuited figures into the water with their boards.



a Rafflecopter giveaway
I’m happy you could join me on Books and Banter.  I hope you had fun with the Q & A’s
Thank YOU very much for hosting me.

Just a reminder to the reader ~ before you leave please take a look at the  
Funny/Stupid and Interesting Tabs.

Come back and visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.