Saturday, January 16, 2016

Debbie Brown ~ an interview and her novel ~ Snow Job


I AM PLEASED TO WELCOME AUTHOR
Debbie Brown


BIO:
All her life, Debbie has spun stories in her mind, watching the characters come to life. After working as a nurse, teacher, martial arts instructor, artist, and CIC officer in the Canadian military, her life reads like a story itself. Since graduating from the Institute of Children’s Literature, she is finally devoting herself to writing these stories down and taking us all on a ride we won’t quickly forget.

BANTER – STUFF ABOUT YOU

Q: Are you a morning person, or a midnight candle burner?
A: I am a sleep deprived person since my last child was born. Although she recently turned two, the only night I managed to sleep through without interruption was my night out in the bush with the army at 7 degrees below freezing, just a week ago. However, I used to be a night owl, getting the most done in the dead of night while others slept. I still got up early though. Fortunately I do not need all that much sleep.

Q: Tell me one thing about each of the four seasons you like. It can be anything.
A:        Winter = Skating on a frozen pond, then curling up before a wood fire, hot cocoa in hand while it snows outside.
            Spring            =The end of spring, when the leaves and flowers finally show up.
            Summer =The sound of the crickets as you lie in the dark to watch the stars.
            Fall =The crisp air, filled with earthy smells and the multitude of colors as the leaves come down around you.

Q: When you think of a garden, do you picture vegetables or flowers?
A: I picture vegetables for sure, and berries and fruit trees, a stone path with a reading nook against a great tree. There would be wild flowers thrown into the mix, to add bursts of color and a subtle perfume to the air.

Q: Bedtime, relaxing so you can sleep sounds. Is your preference, white noise, TV, soft music, ocean waves, forest or meadow sounds, babbling brook, or something else?
A: I prefer total silence. Though I like the sound of a crackling fire, and maybe some forest night sounds.

BOOKS – ABOUT THE CRAFT

Q: When did you start writing and why?
A: I started writing after I lost my daughter. I needed to find a way to not go over the edge, so I re-enrolled in a writing course with the Institute of Children’s Literature. While completing the course, I wrote Amethyst Eyes, creating a place where people cared about people.

Q: Where do you get your ideas?
A: A scene will pop into my head and I go from there. I do not make up stories or plot and plan ahead. I am not able to type fast enough to keep up with the scenes as they unfold (yet), but I literally feel as though I was an observer or a reporter of sorts, trying to capture the scene.

Q: How did you come to write your genera of choice?
A: Again, I did not choose, it just happened. And that is how I ended up with Snow Job, my latest novel, which does not share the common sci-fi element found in my other novels.


Q: What do you think is the hardest part of writing a book?
A: Typing

Q: What is your favorite part of writing?
A: When I write, I am “in the zone.” The scene comes alive and I am swallowed up by the events as they unfold. It’s awesome, because I have no idea what is coming up, who that character is that just made an appearance, or where all of this is going until we actually get there. I don’t even choose the location. I spent weeks researching where my MC in Amethyst Eyes was from by putting the details into the computer until I found the hometown that had it all.


BOOKS - NOW LETS PROMOTE – STRUT YOUR STUFF

Q: What are you working on now? Would you like to share anything about it?
A:  Since Snow Job was released in October, so I am going to focus on its release before I jump back into the third Amethyst Eyes (which will complete the trilogy). I have been getting scenes and flashes for the final chapter in this YA story, but I have some other stuff to deal with before I start writing it, and I don’t want to put any more pressure on myself right now.
I love that it carries elements from present day life on Earth, science-fiction components from life in space and a good dose of Native-American folklore. Resisting the urge to get into it won’t be easy, but the frustration of not being able to write would probably be worse, so it is my New Year’s Project.

Q: Do you have a new book coming out soon? Tell us about it.
A: Snow Job is my latest release, (Oct 15th), and I am quite pleased with how it turned out. It is an action packed adventure with suspense and intrigue, perfumed by an underlying romance.

TAG LINE: 
She’s just a divorce lawyer, so how’d she end up 2000 miles from home, dodging bullets and running for her life with a park ranger?

BLURB: 
When NY divorce lawyer, Sarah Lindquist, stepped out of her office to clear her mind before her next client showed up, the last thing she expected was to come to in the middle of the Colorado Rockies, with two park rangers standing over her.
The ex-military rangers are convinced someone wants her out of the way, but how to find out who, without putting her life at risk and letting that 'someone' know they've missed the target?
 
Q: How can we find you? Do you have a web page, FaceBook page or any buy links?
A: Yes, I do. Here are the links.
  
AUTHOR LINKS:




EXCERPT:

Jim stood. “Enough.” He grabbed me by the elbow with a firm hand and led me out of the living room. He stood me up against a wall and leaned in close. “Sarah, these guys have gathered here to try and help. You either cooperate or we’ll drop it.” He rubbed a hand across his jaw. “I called in a favor because my gut is telling me that your life is in danger.” He pointed with a thumb over his shoulder towards the living room. “They have lives and families. So before we go any further, do you want our help or not?”
I clenched my fists out of frustration. I wanted to scream. I turned full circle upon myself before letting out a breath. “Let me try and explain it to you. If I accept your help, it would be like acknowledging that my life was in danger.” I shot him a desperate glance. “And that scares me a lot more than I care to admit.” My voice quivered. I lowered my eyes, letting out a breath of defeat. When I dared face him, he was still staring at me…waiting.
“I need you to be clear on that, Sarah. I won’t put any lives at risk if you aren’t going to cooperate, or ignore what we say.” He searched my face. “The guys who dumped you won’t be happy when they find out you’re alive. Whoever paid them to get the job done, will more than likely be furious, because the last thing guys like that want is to get caught.” He paused a moment and touched my cheek with the back of his hand. “Do your best to keep it together.”
I closed my eyes, afraid to take the step into admission that I was in some serious trouble and that my life would remain in danger until this was over. I nodded. “Fine. I… I’ll trust you,” I said.

I’m happy you could join me on Books and Banter.  

Thanks for having me back.




A reminder to the reader ~ before you leave be sure to take a look at the 


Come back and visit again.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.