Monday, September 26, 2016

Shawna Hunter ~ an interview and the novel Submission Backstory: Memoir of a BDSM Authoress







I AM PLEASED TO WELCOME AUTHOR
Shawna Hunter

BANTER – STUFF ABOUT YOU

Q: Tell me something you would like your readers (fans) to know about you.
A: I keep my writer self and my personal life self as separate as possible. It’s not really a surprise, many erotica authors use pen names, but unlike most I don’t do it to protect my identity or hide this side of myself from my readers. Quite the opposite. I want my work to be judged on it’s own merit and not be muddied by people’s personal opinions of me as a person.

Q: If your life were a movie would it be considered an action film, comedy, drama, romance, fantasy or a combination?
A: A tragedy. My parents both battled long term illness while raising two children on a cab driver’s earnings and social assistance. My father died in my final year of highschool and my my mother over christmas break during my final year of university. I left school broke and orphaned, spending a year living on my sister’s couch. Writing, for me, was an escape from the struggles of building my life out of those beginnings and it has become my reason to get up every morning and keep fighting.

Q: Did you like school when you were a child?
A: Yes and no. I liked learning but as a socially awkward aspie (I didn’t know I had aspergers until I had finished school) I had a lot of trouble making friends and was frequently bullied. I was the quiet book worm that teacher loved and my fellow students loved to pick on.
Q: Have you ever been too embarrassed to promote any certain titles to friends or family?
A: Me? No. My friends and family? Many of them worry about public image thanks to career or social obligations. They view erotica as something illicit that should not be discussed and as such they frequently ask me to avoid the subject. I had to create separate social media accounts for my writer-self and personal-self to keep many people I know from unfriending me so my work wouldn’t show in their timelines.

Q: How do you feel about exercise?
A: I love it. Not just for the results but for the challenge. I like weight and strength training combined with the mild cardio of long hikes. Nietzsche said happiness comes from the feeling that power increases and I very much agree. There’s nothing like lifting a weight you couldn’t before or conquering a trail that used to leave you winded halfway through.

BOOKS – ABOUT THE CRAFT

Q: Where do you get your ideas?
A: Life. You can’t be a good writer if you don’t get away from the writing desk to live. I love little adventures. Exploring a new town, going to a festival, going off trail hiking and just seeing where you end up. I’m always up for trying new things and just seeing what happens. I’ve always said that my guiding star when writing is the question “what would happen if I said yes?” It’s doubly true for life.

Q: How did you come to write your genera of choice?
A: I tried a few different genres before erotica but none could hold my interest long enough to finish writing a whole book. Erotica is as fun to write as it is to read and that makes it easier to focus on for me.

Q: How do you handle a writer's block?
A: I let thoughts percolate. I don’t write everyday and I don’t make myself write x amount of words every time I write. You can’t force it. You have to let ideas come to you. I do, however, keep a note book so that if an idea strike me in the shower or wakes me in the middle of the night I can jot it down before I lose it. Those little lightning flashes always lead to spurts of major productivity.

Q: Do you always know how a story will end when you begin writing it?
A: I never know how a story will end when I begin. I don’t create plot out lines. I take a good idea and a blank page then I start writing. I tell myself the story first then edit and re-edit it to make sure it all makes sense. I’ve been told my stories have surprising twists and that’s because I didn’t know that would happen when I started writing. So how could I accidentally spoil it?

BOOKS - NOW LETS PROMOTE – STRUT YOUR STUFF

Q: What are you working on now? Would you like to share anything about it?
A: I have two books I’m in the middle of writing and one idea percolating. The story I’m most likely to finish is a lesbian seduction tale about a personal trainer and her client. My first work was inspired by Tarzan and this one, in a similar vein, will be inspired by beauty and the beast. I am also working on some genre blending tales. An erotica/mystery/tragedy blend that is proving to be the my most difficult novel to date and a horror/erotica idea I’m hoping to finish and publish near October.

Q: Do you have a new book coming out soon? Tell us about it.
A: I am busy writing at the moment but my shortest novel, Submission Backstory, will be released in audiobook format very soon and I’m pretty excited about that.

Q: How can we find you? Do you have a web page, FaceBook page or any buy links?


Blurb:
Immersing herself in work worldly reporter Alyssa K travels to New York on the trail of a hot story. After arriving she discovers that the story is much bigger than she could have dreamed. Facing steep competition from a rival with no scruples, Alyssa must think outside the box to find a fresh angle. Her search leads her to David, an overconfident younger man who promises the inside scoop Alyssa needs. All he asks in return is a little of her time. At first thinking she has the edge on her cute young admirer Alyssa soon learns that there is more to young David than meets the eye. Ultimately she realizes that she's not just hunting this story she's living it, and must decide if she will run from her future or submit to desires she didn't even know she had.



A reminder to the reader ~ before you leave be sure to take a look at the 
Come back and visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.