Monday, August 29, 2016

Adam Furgang ~ an interview and his novel ~ Braxton Woods Mystique







I AM PLEASED TO WELCOME AUTHOR
Adam Furgang


BIO –  
Adam Furgang is a full-time author and freelance writer. After graduating from The University of the Arts, he worked as a graphic designer, web designer, fine artist, and photographer. His current writing credits include more than a dozen nonfiction books in the middle school market about topics as diverse as YouTube, video games, digital photography, mobile photography, the environment, nutrition, disease, digital literacy, and the periodic table. He also runs a creative blog, wizardsneverweararmor.com, which concentrates on topics such as gaming, art, films, and pop culture. He lives with his wife Kathy (also a writer) and their two boys in upstate New York.

Adam Furgang is represented by Mark Gottlieb at Trident Media Group.

 
BANTER – STUFF ABOUT YOU 

Q: Tell me something you would like your readers (fans) to know about you.
A: I’m also an artist. I was classically trained as an illustrator and worked as an artist, graphic designer, web designer, photographer, and fine artist for many years. I still take pictures, create art, and even worked on the design of the cover for my current novel, Braxton Woods Mystique. A close friend of mine, Robyn Diaz, did the illustration for the cover, but I conceptualized the idea, chose the font, and did the layout.

Q: Bedtime, relaxing so you can sleep sounds. Is your preference, white noise, TV, soft music, ocean waves, forest or meadow sounds, babbling brook, or something else?
A: Although I think it’s probably a bad habit, I do like to fall asleep with a film on. Typically these films tend to be quiet dramas, comedies, or TV shows from Netflix. A few recent films have been Never Cry Wolf, Smart People, Winter Passing, and Being There. Old episodes of The X-Files are always fun before bed too. When I can’t sleep or if I wake up in the middle of the night I will read on my iPad and keep a film on quietly until I get tired again. I’m sure I have a sleep disorder, but I’m perfectly content to continue along like this.

Q: What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have an all time favorite song?
A: My oldies favorites are 80s tunes like The Smiths, Depeche Mode, and The Cure from when I first fell in love with music. I like almost everything. Current music I’m listening to is Thievery Corporation, Radiohead, The Faming Lips, and Gorillaz. I also love movie soundtracks for films.

Q: Did you like school when you were a child?
A: I did like school but I did not quite get the value of education until I hit high school. Second and fourth grade were not great years for me because of a bad combination of my attitude, the teachers’ attitudes, and large classes with 40+ kids. Things could have been a lot worse though, and I’m very thankful for my public school education. I think public school, even though it’s flawed, is a great thing, and helps prepare kids for interaction with the average people in the United States. The social interaction in school is incidental, but in the end I think it winds up being just as important as the education part. 


BOOKS – ABOUT THE CRAFT

Q: When did you start writing and why?
A: I always had the writing bug as far back as I can remember, but art and my love for pictures took over and directed the course of my life for several decades. After I met my wife who was already involved in publishing was when the writing bug awoke in me in earnest. I wrote my first novel back in 1988 or 1989. It was a mess. It took me a long time to get to this point. I enjoy writing because I’ve always loved making up stories since I was a kid. I dabbled in short films in college and even afterwards where writing was required. I also find it to be the most challenging and rewarding creative endeavor I’ve been involved in. Everything else, painting, photography, design, always began to bore me. Writing is such a challenge that I never get bored and I think that’s what I love the most—it’s ability to keep me interested.

Q: Where do you get your ideas?
A: I write what I’d want to read. It’s as simple as that. I don’t write what I think someone else might like. I write what I’d like. I have very wide varied tastes, but certain things get me excited and if it’s strong enough for me to write about, then I just assume others will agree.

Q: How did you come to write your genera of choice?
A: I don’t have a genre of choice. I know my ideas are odd, but right now I’m writing middle grade or young adult novels for my kids and myself. I know I’d like to write for adults at some point. Because I have kids now who are 9 and 15, I think that is where my mind is now with the stories I come up with. I like that we can share them together. I wouldn’t want to be writing edgy adult novels now that we could not enjoy together. As they get older I’m sure I’ll find the time to get to some of the more serious ideas I’d like to take a stab at.

Q: What do you think is the hardest part of writing a book?
A: The outline is the hardest. I resisted the outline for many years. I thought I could just get it all out and was sophisticated enough to not have an outline. I was entirely wrong. Getting all the main ideas down at the start is very important for me. This can be hard because I also like ideas to flow out as I write. If the outline is strong but not overly detailed, then I can still let magic happen when I’m typing. It requires that I work out the beginning, middle, and end before I start to write. This can take a long time. The results speak for themselves.

Q: Describe your favorite heroine? (This doesn’t have to be one of yours.)
A: Princess Nausicaä from the film Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki. She’s strong, smart, and a great leader willing to sacrifice herself for a greater good.

Q: Describe your favorite hero? (This doesn’t have to be one of yours.)
A: Underdog characters like Holden Caulfield. Less than perfect male heroes in films and literature appeal to me, likely because I see myself that way. Charlie Buckett, Winston Smith, and Macbeth are all male characters I love.

Q: Who's your favorite author?
A: I hate picking a single favorite. J D Salinger, Jack Finney, and Gary Gygaxx. That’s a good mix.

BOOKS - NOW LETS PROMOTE – STRUT YOUR STUFF

Q: What are you working on now? Would you like to share anything about it?
A: Unfortunately I’m secretive about what I’m working on. Sorry.

Q: How can we find you? Do you have a web page, FaceBook page or any buy links?
A:  Yes, I do. Here are the links. ~





Excerpt:
The reboot did not last long.
Minutes later, as I sat ready to eat a heaping bowl of colorful fruity fructose greatness, I saw something out of the corner of my eye moving in the yard. It moved fast and then stopped by the base of a tree about a hundred feet beyond the edge of the lawn. It was in the woods, and despite the distance, I could see it pretty well. I knew I was not imagining it, either.
Slowly, I opened the sliding glass door to the back deck and crawled out on my belly like a slug. I moved very quietly and nudged my body until I was looking under the deck railing. From there, I could clearly see a dark creature tearing at the base of a tree in the woods behind my yard. It was a black, beastly-looking thing— far larger than what I had glimpsed running past me the day before—with several curved antler-like horns atop its
head, and a wild set of shiny, jet-black teeth. They looked similar to teeth from a deep-sea fish I’d seen in my schoolbook about the ocean. It had several sets of glistening eyes, just like those on the small dead carcass I’d seen a day earlier, as well as multiple hooved forelegs and many tentacle-like appendages at its rear. It was unearthly and I knew no one would believe me unless I had a photograph, or even crazier, if I could somehow trap it.
I should have been scared right away, but I was too fascinated lying there observing this thing. My heart was racing but from sheer excitement, not fear.
“What the—” I whispered under my breath as I kept looking at this thing.
So it was day two of summer vacation, and I was already busy covertly scrutinizing a wild, deformed, beast-like monster. I did not even have time to properly enjoy and finish my rare fruity cereal. I just knew it was getting soggy.
The creature stopped and raised its head as if it heard or smelled something, then it tore off, kicking up dirt and earth as it scrambled away through my yard, heading toward the other homes. Its size and movement reminded me of a baboon. Without thinking, I leaped over the deck rail and started running after it. It was broad daylight and I never considered any danger. I only wanted to get a better look at it. It was incredibly fast, and as soon as I looked up, I could see it already at the edge of my yard. Then I looked ahead and saw a lounge chair in the next yard with someone sitting in it reading a book. I could not see who it was, but the creature was heading right for the person. I picked up my pace.
“Look out!” I yelled as I saw the creature darting toward the person in the chair. Before it got there, the creature turned on a dime toward the woods and leaped about twenty feet into the trees behind the yards. Then it jumped from tree to tree before returning to the ground in the woods and running away. There was no way to chase something that fast.
Leaves and a few small branches rained down from the trees.
“What on earth is going on?” asked a voice, and I turned to look and found the person who was reading in the lawn chair was Nora. “What are you doing in my yard and why are you holding a spoon?”
“Creature. It ran by. Fast. It went that way,” I said as I caught my breath and pointed at the woods with my cereal spoon still in hand. In my excitement, I had not realized I had been holding my cereal spoon all along.
“Dude, slow down,” said Nora. “Use sentences. Speak English. First, what are you doing in my yard?”
“Didn’t you see that?” I asked, still huffing and puffing.
“I saw something.”“It was a creature. Some wild, deformed beast.”“Um, something flew into the trees. I think you
spooked a hawk or an owl.”“It was a wild monster!”Then Nora started laughing.Just then, the twins came running into Nora’s yard
from around the back of the fence that enclosed Mr. Randleside’s yard.
“Did you two just see that?” asked Albert.
“I did.” I gasped, still trying to catch my breath. “It was some sort of deformed charcoal black beast.”
Nora continued to laugh with that same smile where her tongue poked from between her teeth.
“Something ripped up our new compost heap last night. We were over there and we heard something over here and looked up and saw something leap into the trees,” said Oliver.
“See!” I exclaimed, looking at Nora. “It was running right at you. You could have been attacked!”
“Seriously? Attacked... Attacked?” she asked sarcastically.
“You guys saw it, right?” I asked the twins.
“Well, I saw something in the trees, and then I saw branches fall, and we heard you yelling, so we came running,” said Albert.
“And our compost heap is all mashed up,” reminded Oliver.
“Any of you ever hear of a raccoon?” asked Nora. “I bet that’s what ate your nasty, stinky compost heap. You can’t just leave garbage out in your yard. Wild animals are going to be attracted to it.”
“This was no raccoon,” I said.
“Composting is a very natural process and we have a nice setup,” interrupted Oliver.
I interrupted right back again. “I saw weird things in the woods yesterday, too. Another creature and some weird looking dead animal.”
“Wow, where?” the twins asked nearly in unison.
“Back in the woods,” I said, pointing with my spoon back toward the woods and my yard. “There is abandoned equipment back there too, as well as a really cool treehouse.”
“Awesome!” the twins cheered in unison as they exchanged a fluttering secret handshake.
“Let’s get provisions and go explore!” said Albert.
Nora just sat there and shook her head. “I’m not even supposed to be here.”

A reminder to the reader ~ before you leave be sure to take a look at the 

Come back and visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.