Friday, July 21, 2017

Arthur Telling ~ guest post and his novel ~ Yancy Gates: A Dialogue With Self


TITLE: “Yancey Gates: A Dialogue With Self”
RELEASE DATE: April 20, 2017
AUTHOR: Arthur Telling
CATEGORIES: Metaphysical/New Age
PAGE COUNT: 310
ISBN: 978-1543007053
IMPRINT: Gaia’s Essence


 
KEYWORDS: Buddhism, Occult, New Age, Metaphysical, American Indian, World’s Fair, Spiritual, Religion

ONE LINER:
A spiritual theme in a developing San Francisco World’s Fair gives Planning Department employee Yancey Gates a pathway for awakening the mind.

SYNOPSIS:
Yancey Gates seeks enlightenment, while enduring a mundane job plagued with office politics at the San Francisco Planning Department. Opportunity arises when a dynamic new California governor proposes a world’s fair in San Francisco having a spiritual theme.

Yancey’s job in Planning takes on new life as the governor’s plan drops into his lap, and carries him to a Northern California Buddhist monastery where present moment awareness is a way of life, and to a fiery American Indian chieftain whose distrust of the White Man threatens the governor’s plan.

Remaining steadfast as he navigates through challenges and pitfalls, Yancey’s focus stays on the question of his
real purpose, his reason for living, and he brings you, the reader, along a tumultuous journey towards enlightenment.


GUEST POST:

I wanted to write a non-fiction book about the spiritual realm – metaphysics – and I knew a lot about metaphysics. It began some decades ago. In Berkeley, I combed the metaphysical bookstores in search of answers to those big questions: Why do we exist, what is our purpose? I found those answers, written by entities who are from a different realm. These aren’t philosophers, religionists, or psychologists, they are eyewitnesses to that next world beyond. Not all books are legitimate of course, but it was easy to spot the jewels there mixed up in the bookshelves with the marginal. I think the best set of books on earth are the Seth Books by Jane Roberts, today in reprint.

For the next few decades I went about living an ordinary life in an ordinary world, but in my mind reminding myself continually that the world about me is a construct of my mind; I am “lucid” dreaming. Such imagination breathes life into a mundane situation; it becomes surreal, even magical – we are creating our world, now, in this moment!

Eventually, it was suggested that I write down what I had learned, but I didn’t really know anything that wasn’t already known. I had learned it all from books. I went ahead anyway and started a book, a non-fiction book, about metaphysics. To my surprise I found I was actually learning new things as I wrote, and more yet as I read back my own written words. In my new book Yancey Gates, Yancey imagines a spinoff story of a spiritual man, Granger, who takes him out on his sailboat. Granger explains to Yancey that “you tell a story as you live.” I originally had this fiction spinoff in my very first book, the non-fiction book that I never published. But I liked the story, so I put it in Yancey, which makes this book unique in that it contains a small bit of my earliest writing along with my very latest writing. Ten years ago, I was writing about this idea that we tell a story as we live, but didn’t know where I had picked up the idea. So I reviewed my unfinished non-fiction manuscript to see where that idea was introduced. It came, as I say above, from the fictitious character Granger, from the pen of a writer (me) who had not before entertained such an idea. Further research, however, reveals it is mentioned in the Seth Material that I read as a young adult. But it is not so obvious and not so easy to comprehend until some background living has transpired. Maybe I had nothing entirely new to say, but I had put my own twists on the ancient knowledge that enlightened even me, and I hadn’t even realized that I had done that; I mean, that life tells a story. It was my character who voiced it, but of course the character is me. I had to hear it from him to consciously pick it up. That’s what I mean about learning new things from my own writing. Yancey, a seeker of knowledge who is determined to resolve the hard questions, the big questions of life, was essentially the theme of my early non-fiction endeavor that I never completed. Presenting it as a novel made it work. I’m not entirely sure why. I think fiction gives the writer more leeway, He can introduce things that he would need to develop on more, if it’s non-fiction. Some of Yancey’s experiences are based on my life, some are not. Others, like the Governor’s World’s Fair idea, come right out of my imagination from my youth. These are things I had no wherewithal to bring about, but any author’s fictitious characters have no such limitations – they can do anything, and any result is possible. If I decided for Yancey to walk on water, he would. But I wanted this book to be believable.

While the angry spiritual tribal Chieftain “Ground Hog” is entirely fictitious, as is his Mowanabee tribal reservation, the City of 10,000 Buddhas in the Northern California redwoods is real, as is its Asian founder who died twenty years ago yet is still searching for a suitable successor. I talked to a monk at a temple attached to this monastery, and he told me of how the founder, now in spirit, visits and discusses such things with him. It is a central element of Eastern philosophy, there being other worlds apart from our world, where communication happens rather nonchalantly. The City of 10,000 Buddhas was founded in the United States exactly for the purpose of educating us Westerners to the truer nature of reality. But the Governor, with his World’s Fair project, sees a greater picture yet; a world bringing metaphysical knowledge into the industrial technological world of physical forms, a more complex, more sophisticated, reality emerging that, astonishingly, is entirely of the mind. And for this same purpose, Yancey Gates was written.

AUTHOR BIO:
Arthur Telling, born in San Francisco, California, grew up on the San Francisco peninsula, and presently resides across the bay in Oakland with his wife. A lifelong search for meaning and purpose in life, brought him to nearby Berkeley, with its rich metaphysical environment.  He has authored several novels, and has written numerous stories and articles. His articles have regularly appeared in online conscious lifestyle magazine OM Times (www.omtimes.com) including the January 2017-C issue “Jane Roberts, the Seth Books: An Overlooked Giant”  and August 2016-B issue “Son of Man May Not Have Been Jesus”. His article “A Different Jesus Message” was published in the November 2011 AMORC online Rosicrucian Digest. His article answering the question “How are the mind and brain related?” appeared in January/February 2008 edition of British Journal Philosophy Now. His website is www.arthurtelling.com

AUTHOR LINKS:

BUY LINKS:
AMAZON US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJFF6WX
AMAZON UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XJFF6WX
AMAZON CA: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XJFF6WX
CREATESPACE: https://www.createspace.com/6920460


Brought to you by:

A reminder to the reader ~ before you leave be sure to take a look at the 
Come back and visit again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.