Monday, July 24, 2017

David Tienter ~ an interview and his novel ~ The Cherokee Kid



I AM PLEASED TO WELCOME AUTHOR
David Tienter

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


TITLE: The Cherokee Kid
RELEASE DATE: January 25, 2016
AUTHOR: David Tienter
PAGE COUNT: 156
ISBN: 978-1542621465
IMPRINT: White Stag


KEYWORDS: western, bounty hunters, Cherokee kid, action, adventure, Wild West, 1800’s

CATEGORIES: Action/Adventure/Western

SYNOPSIS: 
On the run from a posse and bounty-hunters, The Cherokee Kid is drawn into the problems of a widow with two small children and if forced to protect them from a greedy cattle baron. Only his lightning draw and nerves of steel can protect the small family from the forces massed against them. This is western action on the cutting edge.

ONE LINER: 
On the run from a posse and bounty-hunters, The Cherokee Kid is drawn into the problems of a widow with two small children and if forced to protect them from a greedy cattle baron.

  

AUTHOR BIO: 
David is a former U.S. Navy Corpsman who spent time attached to the Marine Corps. He earned a Bachelor's degree from Northwestern College and Master's degree from Western Illinois University. He currently resides in Port St. Lucie, Florida, with his wife and three dogs.



BANTER – STUFF ABOUT YOU

Q: What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have an all time favorite song?
A: Two artists intrigue me the most.  I have loved Dave Brubeck’s music all my life.  Progressive Jazz has a unique gateway to my soul.  The singer that stopped me in my tracks the first time I heard her is Phoebe Snow.  I own and listen to the works of both artists as frequently as possible.

Q: If your life were a movie would it be considered an action film, comedy, drama,
A:My life would start as an action film.  Nine years as a Naval Corpsman included three tours in Vietnam in a Special Landing Force with the Marines.  Now I have been married twenty five plus years to a special lady who makes life exciting every day.

Q: Dress up or dress down?
A: I live in shorts and tees.  The hour I spend in long pants and buttoned shirt every week when we attend church makes my legs ache for freedom

Q: Coffee or Tea?
A: Precious water, is so necessary to life, because without it, coffee beans would be of no use.  Seldom does my coffee pot cool off.

Q: How do you feel about exercise?
A: I was a long distance runner into my fifties, when I was no longer physically able to run.  My Purple Heart resulted in my left knee being replaced.  I still managed to complete the AARP age 65 triathalon.

BOOKS – ABOUT THE CRAFT

Q: What is your favorite part of writing?
A: My favorite part is the vast riches that have rained down on me from my grateful fans who frequently mob me in stores or on the golf course.  Seriously, for me, the reason I keep writing is the same as what started me writing.  It’s so damned hard that I never believe I can do it again.

Q: Describe your favorite hero? (This doesn’t have to be one of yours.)
A: The youth, Henry, in The Red Badge of Courage begins as a terrified soldier who overcomes his fears through the experiences on and near the battlefield.  He becomes so real to the reader.  He is not Jack Reacher who knows what to do, and is physically able to do anything.  Henry faces death and still moves forward.

Q: Who's your favorite author?
A:  Edna St Vincent Millay.  A remarkable woman with great humor who can see to the soul of the reader.

Q: How do you handle a writer's block?
A:I work with other forms of expression.  I love water colors and I create my own hand-carved caricatures.  The frustration created with different forms helps me return to writing.

Q: Do you write long hand first, or does it go straight into the computer?
A:  Electronics distract me too much.  Long tablets and pens are clearly the best instruments to put down moving words.  The downside is that after a long night of creating, my hand can be to sore to write.  That then becomes the time when I think of different routes my characters could take. 

BOOKS - NOW LETS PROMOTE – STRUT YOUR STUFF

Q: What are you working on now? Would you like to share anything about it?
A:I am trying to write a sci/fi novel.  I had so much fun making stuff up that the first 20,000 words practically jumped onto the page.

Q: Do you have a new book coming out soon? Tell us about it.
A:  INVASION EARTH will be sent to my Publisher this week.  Everything is finished except for some art work.  

Q: How can we find you? Do you have a web page, FaceBook page or any buy links?
A:  Yes, I do.


Excerpt:
Pinkney reined in and sat waiting, unsure of what reception he would receive. He remained in the saddle until the wagon boss called to him. “Might just as well get some coffee and grub. You’re welcome to come on in, stranger.”

Wagon boss Slocum had been a top hand in his youth. Several years back his horse had shied from a rattler and rolled onto his left leg. The bones and knee shattered, he had a stiff leg now and could no longer work on a horse. But the rancher, Mr. Sweets, had confidence in him and put him in charge of the chuck wagon. He could handle the job easily, and kept a stern hand over the two groups of cowboys he managed. He only brought in one gang of eight cowhands at a time so he could watch and listen to them better. He found out much sooner of any problems he might have to fix.

Dan tied his mount to the pony line, and walked over to the chuck wagon. Slocum handed him a plate of beans and beef, with a hot cup of joe. The strength of the open range coffee was a delight and Dan crouched near the men, savoring the brew.

“Trailing a ways?” asked Slocum.

“Tolerable amount, I guess.” Dan finished the food and gave the plate to the wagon boss. “Great tasting grub, thank you.”

“You bet. The Slash S chuck wagon never turns away a friendly stranger.”

“The Slash S brand. Probably be your cattle been ranging west of here?”

“Chances good, Sweets seems to own most of everything around here.”

Dan knew the signs of a long rider were still on him. The cowboys relaxing near the fire figured he was on the run from the law. Who else would be just riding through? While Dan’s color was discussed some quietly, black men were not that unusual in this country, but they were still rare enough to stand out. This man, they saw had hard bark on him. Not a man to take lightly.

”Passed a homestead back a ways,” said Dan, as he took time to build and light a smoke. “Woman and a couple of kids. Seems they been having trouble with your beefs crowding them.” He heard the cowboys chuckling in a way that suggested, “Job well done.” Seeds of anger began to grow in Pinkney’s chest.

“That’s a darn shame, there. Must be the Hilderbrant place. I been told she is a nice lady. Truth of the matter is, them people should have known better than to homestead near the only good water. Hard to keep these old critters from wandering up there, and they never care what they destroy. Hope they’ve caused no trouble for the purty lady.“

“Thank you again for the grub,” said Dan, “but I’m heading to town for supplies.” He stood and backed away from the wagon toward his horse. He knew these were hard working cowboys. They were probably unheeled. He could not see any that wore guns, however a hidden weapon was just as deadly. He knew Slocum had a scatter gun in the food wagon. “Truth is, I wouldn’t eaten here if I had known who you are. I’ve no respect for men who try to drive women and children out of their homes. Don’t figure even rabid skunks would do that or speak lightly of it.”

Dan’s attention had been focused intently on the men around the chuck wagon. He hadn’t heard the riders from the second shift coming in for chow. He first became aware of them as a lasso came sailing over his head and was pulled tight before he could react. The rope held his upper arms tight against his chest.

“Looks like I got me one of them homesteader lovers for Fiori. Y’all know how he loves them.” The man who had roped him, reared his horse high and let out a yodel. There was laughing and ‘way to go’s’ shouted around camp. A lot of comradery congratulations given to the man with the rope.

“You beat get this rope offin me,” said Pinkney.

“Okay with you, Boss Slocum, I’ll drag him back to the ranch now,” said the cowboy, completely ignoring what Pinkney had said.

“Yep, take off, never deny Fiori his joys. Ride slow and if he’s tough enough, he might still be alive when you get there.”

The cowboy began backing his horse up, Dan pulled back against him as hard as possible, then suddenly relaxed. The force from the horse pulled him up into the air a little, and Dan rolled into a ball before he landed on the ground. His right hand slipped the Bowie knife from his boot sheath. He slashed through the rope, and continued the roll onto his feet. The horse stumbled with the load suddenly gone, and by the time the cowboy righted himself on the horse, Dan had stepped forward toward the man and with a long overhand toss, released the blade. The man jerked as the weapon hit him, then righting himself and looking downward, he could see the knife was buried hilt deep on the right side of his chest. With a puzzled look on his face, he slid backward off the horse and fell hard on his back.

Dan walked over to the downed man. “Maybe I oughta drag you back for Fiori. Serve you right, but I’d probably have to kill you and then him. So son, I want you to listen to me closely. Don’t be looking over at your buddies. No one wants to die for you. Now the next time you want to rope someone, remember how much this hurt.” Taking hold of his knife, he pulled it straight up out of the man’s chest. Then slowly wiped the blade clean on the man’s beard.

BUY LINKS:
AMAZON US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSAKMAR
AMAZON UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSAKMAR
AMAZON CA: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MSAKMAR
CREATESPACE: https://www.createspace.com/6871126



Brought to you by:


A reminder to the reader ~ before you leave be sure to take a look at the 
Come back and visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.