Monday, November 5, 2018

Dani Gray ~ an interview and her novel ~ Cupid's Valentine


If you're younger than 18 please explore elsewhere.

I AM PLEASED TO WELCOME AUTHOR
Dani Gray

AUTHOR BIO
I’ve been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. I still remember one of the first books I read, it was the Bobbsey Twins. As I got older, I moved into more the interesting books, but some of the typo’s made me nuts! So, after contacting writers I started a career of where I began editing, beta reading and brainstorming. After being harassed for a couple of years by some of the writers, I gave in and have now begun to write.

I live in central Canada with my hubby of over 25 years, 4 kids, and 5 grandkids. We have a collection of pets, including our guard cat. I love nothing more than curling up with a good book, or my laptop to work on the next thing that catches the muse. I would love to hear from readers, you can find me at:




BANTER – STUFF ABOUT YOU


Q: How would you describe yourself as a color? Think personality here. Are you a light and airy pastel person, or more of a deep, dark, sultry and mysterious color?
A: I would say that I’m a vibrant blue. I can have my fast mood swings, but they don’t last. I’m usually easy going, but if I see someone being an ass I have no hesitation to jump in and give them directions for the long walk on the short pier.

Q: Are you a morning person, or a midnight candle burner?
A: Such a midnight candle burner. I have a coffee cup that has Snoopy lying on it looking so very sick with he caption “I think I’m allergic to mornings”. That is so me!

Q: Tell me one thing about each of the four seasons you like. It can be anything.
A: Winter = the cold, but snow is a 4 letter swear word!
     Spring = leaving my windows open for the cold air at nights
     Summer = ummm, it’s too hot for something nice to say. I’m a Canadian who loves the cold.
     Fall = again, having cool nights to have the window open wide with a fan blowing the air into the room as I sleep.

Q: Tell me something you would like your readers (fans) to know about you.
A: I love getting feedback about my books. I think that constructive critism helps me to write better

Q: If you could morph into any creature, what would it be?
A: A Hawk or Eagle
If you don’t mind me asking, why?
A: So I could travel and see new things.


BOOKS – ABOUT THE CRAFT


Q: When did you start writing and why?
A: I’ve only been writing for a year now. I blame it all on Stormy Glenn. When I was suddenly laid off from work, she harassed me until I gave up and wrote.

Q: Where do you get your ideas?
A: No idea. I simply say I have a hamster for a muse and just go with the flow.

Q: How did you come to write your genre of choice?
A: When my son was about 12 years or so, he came out to us as gay. I told him he had one rule, his boyfriend couldn’t be cuter than my hubby. Years later he asked for some gay romance books, which I didn’t even know existed. Since I’ve always been a ‘I need to know what my kids are reading’ kind of parent, I read some of the books. I got upset at some of the stupid plot errors that should have been fixed by the editor, so I contacted a few of the writers. This began my career as a content editor. And no, I wouldn’t know good grammar if it jumped up a bit me on the butt.

Q: What do you think is the hardest part of writing a book?
A: Not repeating words, or finding different words so I’m not repeating them. Then there is the bane of my existence, grammar. I so HATE proper grammar. Keeps mucking me up.

Q: Which element of book writing is the most difficult for you?
A: Again, damn grammar.


BOOKS - NOW LETS PROMOTE – STRUT YOUR STUFF


Q: What are you working on now? Would you like to share anything about it?
A: I’m actually working on 3 books at the moment, the one really speaking to me started on Stormy Glenn’s Manlove blog.
     This is the one that I didn’t even know that one of the characters is a shifter. Mind you, I like going with the different, so he’s a Fenric Fox shifter.

Q: Do you have a new book coming out soon? Tell us about it.
A: I’m hoping to have the current book out in time for Halloween, my problem, still don’t have a title for it.

Q: How can we find you? Do you have a web page, FaceBook page or any buy links?
A: Blog: https://authordanigray.blogspot.ca/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=author.dani.gray
    https://www.amazon.com/Dani-Gray
    https://www.bookstrand.com/dani-gray
Blurb:
When Cupid Winslow lost his husband three years ago on Valentine’s Day, he never thought it would ever be anything but a day of mourning for him. Working in his coffee shop/bakery The Pantheon, gives Cupid something to do with his days, but he goes home to his empty house and to the ghost of his deceased husband. Meeting a handsome stranger wasn’t in his plans, not when he just wanted to be alone and cry out the pain that still lived in him.

Liam Foster was on his way home from work when he noticed the lights on at his favorite coffee shop, and the baked goods there were absolutely decadent. A chance meeting with a kindred lost soul, Liam offers him friendship, while he secretly longs for so much more.

Can two men find love and happiness, or would someone with a vendetta against Cupid destroy what could be a new beginning?


Excerpt
Cupid Winslow was trying to get this latest batch of muffins done, since he was in a hurry to get home. With tomorrow, technically later today, being Valentine’s Day, he didn’t want to be out in public. When he had his melt down, he wanted to be in the comfort of his home. To him, Valentine’s Day was a day of mourning, not a celebration of love like everyone else.

Three years ago, Cupid’s husband was on the way home from work, when he was hit by a drunk driver. He was rushing home to take Cupid out for a dinner date, so he took a different way, hoping it would be quicker. Victor was trying to avoid an accident and was hit by a drunk in a truck trying to beat a light. When he answered the doorbell, expecting it to be Victor, Cupid was shocked to see police officers in the doorway. His only consolation was being told Victor died instantly. It would have been worse if he had been alone and in pain before passing away.

Cupid really didn’t remember the conversation he had with the police, other than being told that Victor was dead. He didn’t even remember them leaving. He just shut down. It took his mom coming over for the flood of emotions burst out of him.

One of the first things he did remember was suddenly fighting with Victor’s sister, Suzanne. She hated the fact that Victor was married to another man, and she tried to sue him for everything that Victor and Cupid had created. It had nearly cost him his home and business, the damage she tried to inflict with her smear campaign and phony tears just about ruined him. If it wasn’t for the fact that another reporter found out the truth of what Suzanne was up to, it could have financially destroyed him.

Since then, Cupid had cut himself off from everyone. He knew it wasn’t a healthy way to live, but he also knew enough about himself that he was still emotionally crippled.

Oh, he smiled and laughed while at work, but none of it was real. He was so grateful when his sister, Athena, decided to become the manager of his coffee house/bakery, The Pantheon. He was able to stay in his kitchen and create, while she was the face of the business. It was actually Victor who named the shop, he thought it was a cute word play because of the name of his sister and Cupid. Growing up named Cupid was hard, but his older sister protected him. Her name really suited her personality, she was fierce, especially when she was defending her loved ones.

Cupid wanted to make sure he had enough baked goods for later today, so he came in late the night before in order to make it all, then he was going home to spend the day with his memories. He still missed the feeling of being wrapped up in Victor’s arms, sleeping draped all over the love of his life. How does one recover from that type of loss? He’d been asking himself that question every day since he lost Victor.

Everyone kept telling him it will get better, he wouldn’t always feel so alone in a crowd of people. He would meet someone new and find new love. Cupid wasn’t sure if he would ever recover from the hollow feeling in his chest, but he did admit, if only to himself, that the constant ache was pretty much gone.

After putting the last of the baking away for the day, Cupid quickly cleaned up, making sure to leave the kitchen sparkling. Going over to the door, he quickly hit the button on the remote start for his car. Living this far north, the land was still in the grips of a damn cold winter. Not too much snow, but the constant days of bitter cold were tiring.

Giving the kitchen and the front of the store a quick look through to make sure it was ready for later that day, Cupid was satisfied all was in shape. He went over to the back door, dressed up in his jacket, hat and gloves, set the store alarm, then opened the door and screamed in fright.

“Hey,” The stranger said with his hand out, “It’s ok. I was just going by and wanted to make sure everything was okay. I saw the lights on, so I came over to check that the store was locked up.”

Hearing the alarm getting ready to set, Cupid quickly stepped out and made sure the door was locked behind him before turning to the man.

“Sorry about that. You startled me when I found you standing there.”

Noticing the stranger’s amazing azure blue eyes, Cupid almost lost himself staring at the gorgeous man in front of him. Looking up, cause the man stood at around six and a half feet of blond yumminess, at least a foot taller then his five and a half feet, Cupid wanted to snuggle up and forget his pain.

“I was just finishing the baking for the day, since I’m taking the rest of the day off.” Cupid said, while giving himself a firm mental scolding. Today wasn’t the day he should be noticing how handsome the man was.

“Wow, I’ve been in here dozens of times, but I’ve never seen you.” The stranger replied.

“No, I generally stay in the back doing the baking and such. My sister runs the front of the store for me.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Hi, I’m Liam Foster.” Liam held out his gloved hand to Cupid.

“Hello, I’m Cupid.” Cupid shook his hand, but quickly let it go. “I’m sorry, but I need to get going. I’m on way home and I just need to be by myself.”

“Are you okay?”

“No, not today.”

The concern he saw on the strangers face almost had Cupid ready to cry on his shoulder.

“I really need to get home.” Cupid said, as he tried to walk around Liam.



I’m happy you could join me on Books and Banter. I hope you had fun with the Q & A’s.
Honestly, yes I did. This has been fun!

I look forward to your next visit on 11/26/18.


    
A reminder to the reader ~ before you leave be sure to take a look at the
Funny/Stupid and Interesting Tabs
Come back and visit again.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.